This is a writers haven, or nest if you will

Saturday, December 1, 2007

December

Finally the month full of commercial advertisements, christmas jingles, TV specials and cookies has come. Gifts will be found under trees, children and stubborn older people will fantasize about midgits making toys and a big fat bearded man who drags them around the world. Snow will fall and so will the spirits of happy teens and adults who come to find that their driveway needs to be shovelled.

The first major snowstorm is supposed to hit tonight, hopefully enough to build a snowman but just a little less than is shovelable (is that even a word, it should be). I also cant wait until the christmas specials flood TV so that I have an excuse to sit in front of the TV and remember the past.... what truly is the past really, in Christmas its supposed to be happy and joyful and all of that bullshit (forgive me) but last year was much less than joyful, lets just 'remember' that shall we.

Last year, since September, we knew that my nan had alzheimers... not a good feeling. In December she was getting much worse, rambling about how she wasn't in Pouch Cove, she wanted to go home and my pop was his mother. Now during this time my pop had fallen ill, since early November, his family doctor said something was terribly wrong but the hospital docs said 'its just stress', turns out that 'stress' wasn't the problem, he had cancer. Theres not a day that goes by that I dont blame the hospital for his death. Anyway nan was admitted to a home on the 22nd and on the following day my pop was admitted into the hospital. An empty christmas had been given to us and I had no choice but to accept. Atleast I know that this year'll have to be better... I hope.

10 comments:

Alexander White said...

Thats some very sad stuff man. I have never gone through anything like that...

Ryan said...

ah, no problems, its alright, atleast pop lived through christmas and through january (we shared the same birthday, which is cool so we got to see him on my birthday). In Febuary he was let out of the hospital, he requested it, he wanted to be at home. He died in march as my dad was helping him to the washroom, his body went stiff and he got heavier and he just died in my dad's arms, his sons arms, you cant write shit like that.

Alexander White said...

Thats the nightmares of midnight books.. That is very sad, you must have went through hell...


BTW thanks for all the comments on my page..

Ryan said...

Very true, Very true.

Alev said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you had a rough year, Ryan. I hope things will turn out a lot better for you this year. =)

Ryan said...

thanks Alev, and thanks Mr.White :)

Poet In The Jar said...

Agreed, that's very sad, ryan, hope this year turns out better :) I know you shouldn't say that it couldn't get much worse than that, but some part of me still wants to do so. I lost both my Dad's parents but I was never close to my Grandma on that side and my Grandpa died before I was even born. I guess the closest thing I have come to this in grieving is when a classmate of mine died. But that wasn't even family.
Hope your Christmas will be better this time, ryan. No - I know it will. =)

Ryan said...

Thanks Becca! It must've been pretty shocking that a classmate died, its understandable with an older person but with a student...

Poet In The Jar said...

Yeah, shocking is an understatement... :p but it's been almost five years now. sometimes i get reminded of her and get really sad, the fact that someone could die that young I think scared me even more than the fact that it was her in person who we lost... it sounds brutal, hope you understand my point.

Ryan said...

I can appreciaye your views but cannot understand, to truly understand i'd have to face something of the same sort and an early death should be wished upon nobody