This is a writers haven, or nest if you will

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Home at last

Ontario was fun, my cousins lived in a farming town so it was quiet and we did lots of exploring in the woods. I saw frogs that lived in trees (never saw any that weren't in water), I saw salamanders (the first lizard i ever saw), I saw my first deer, and I saw a BLACK squirrel and I smelled a skunk (never saw it tho) all of these animals are in newfoundland so it was pretty cool (not smelling the skunk tho).

In the woods around their house are woods and pathways galore. Though I'm used to that sort of thing the woods around my house are less human oriented, here's some stuff I saw and heard in the woods there. Firstly there was a bunch of wrecked cars scattered throughout the place. Secondly there was a broken down shack that must've served as a house around a hundred years ago judging by the old stove type thing. While inside the house I took some pictures that I'll post later and afterwards I swear to god I heard a person coughing beside me, it wasn`t my cousin so we bolted it back to his house. My cousin, Jason, also found a cow (or horse judging by the teeth) jawbone, teeth attached.

But not all of the trip was nature oriented. We went to the mall on the first day (yuck) FOR 5 HOURS, I nearly collapsed. Yesterday we went to see the parliament building never got far, tours were sold out but it was a really cool building, all made of stone and full of ornate carvings. Ottawa is a HUGE town in comparison to anywhere in Newfoundland, simply travelling there made me feel isolated for living in such a small place.

We were there for two holidays! My aunt`s birthday and Thanksgiving (North American day celebrating all we`re greatful to have).

My cousins have a really chubby cat, she`s really cute tho. She lays beside her food dish and dips her paw in the water and lower it carefully to her mouth where she laps up the liquid, sometimes she does the same with food. She also lays down on her back like a dog waiting for a belly rub.

Despite all of the fun I had its great to be home.

4 comments:

Alev said...

Wow, sounds fun AND exhausting! But "Ewwww!!" with the skunk part, I guess... Haha! :D

Ryan said...

It was all of the above and more. The skunk smelled like raw sewage mixed with citrus, very strange combination.

Poet In The Jar said...

Sounds like you had a great time, Ryan, happy for you! Agree with badseed on the Skunk part tho. xD XD

Ryan said...

Thanks guys. I must say that being a Newfoundlander sure sets me apart from the mainlanders. I noticed just how different our accent is and how out of place I seemed. Someone at a souveiner (sp?) shop asked me where I was from, when I said newfoundland the bitch (excuse my french) asked me if it was my first time in canada, I just walked away but it wasn't a very pleasurable experience. Other than that and the skunk it was fun.